Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Day 9 - getting better

Things are definitely improving. I even went for a short walk yesterday! And went the whole day without pain relief.

I just had paracetamol last night, and got an 'okay' sleep, but there was still too much pain. I'll go back to something stronger tonight.

It's still the left jaw joint that's causing the pain. And my bite hasn't improved further, it's still about the same as when I got back from the surgeon. But that wasn't even 48 hours ago yet, so I must be a patient patient. If all goes according to plan, when the joint recovers then so will my bite.

My liquid diet went well yesterday! I found smoothies I liked, and made a wonderful tomato and capsicum soup for lunch and drank about 5 cups of it. Then I had a smoothie: vanilla ensure, vanilla icecream, milk, banana and flax oil. About 3 cups of that. I felt full! But about half an hour later got some very bad upper tummy cramps. Too much volume, I think.

Last night I pureed up some beef curry my husband made for the family. It needed quite a lot of water added to make it runny enough. I drank 3 cups of it. Then I made real hot chocolate - about a small bar's worth of dark chocolate melted with milk and cream. One big mug was enough, it was rich and delicious. I went to bed with a very happy tummy.

My body is wasting away a bit. I've probably lost 2kg (which is what I put on in preparation for the surgery) but I really notice the muscle loss. I'm going to try to do a few exercises to slow it down, but really don't feel up to doing much yet.

I have more soup plans for today. I woke up at 6am and got on the computer to write this. I was just too sore to try to go back to sleep.

I'll try to get some new photos up for tonight.

In general I am feeling happy and good about the surgery. It is such a fast and magic change after the slow haul of braces. I love the way my teeth overlap and my lips touch at rest, and the few cosmetic things that are really an added bonus. I would not have had the surgery done just for the cosmetic reasons but it was great to be able to have them added in. I don't know if anyone else will even notice them but it doesn't matter to me.

It is great having my mother staying to help. I'm doing quite a bit around the house still but having plenty of time to sit around reading, which is nice.


  1. Hey Andrea!

    Glad to hear you're doing better today. I'm especially glad to hear your nutritional adventures are good. That will definitely help keep you in good spirits!

    Thank you for the compliment on my blog page. To hear someone describe me as "beautiful" is unheard of. It's never happened, unless one were referring to some talent of mine, or inner quality....

    I'm still adjusting to the new look. Because, while I feel that I look a lot more balanced and healthy, I still have to take it one day at a time. It's quite strange to wake up every morning and see a TOTALLY different person. I looked at my before pics last night and I was kind of taken aback..."She" is a stranger of sorts.

    I had an interesting experience this morning, and I'm going to blog about it...


  2. PS. I WILL try the prune juice, because my plumbing is still backed up, and I feel GROSS!

  3. By the way, I forgot to mention how good (and un-swollen, relatively speaking) you look. I mentioned before, that even before surgery, I thought you looked great...

    My swelling seems to be stalling. I am using bromelain to aid the process a bit. Are you trying any homeopathic remedies? If so, what??